Staff Writer, The A.V. Club (TV)
Los Angeles, CA
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
Staff Writer (TV) is a key position at The A.V. Club, contributing heavily to the sites' TV coverage but working across all sections to produce strategic coverage of pop culture. This is primarily a writing position with a focus on reviews, features, interviews, and timely news and reactive content. A Staff Writer should have strong editorial skills and be able to work with freelance and in-house staff as needed. They must have deep pop culture knowledge in multiple verticals, as well as a strong voice and clean copy, and the ability to communicate and work well with every single person on staff. A Staff Writer should also have a clear understanding of journalistic ethics as they relate to cultural criticism and The A.V. Club, as well as a commitment to diversity.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop, write, and publish stories regularly, with an innate sense of what will be a slam-dunk for A.V. Club readership
- Maintain flexibility to work with section editors to produce content of various tones and on various subject matters in a timely manner at their request
- Work across all sections to produce content that complements and augments The A.V. Club’s long-form writing and reviews
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- It is preferred candidates have at least 1-2 years experience writing for a fast-paced online publication
- Candidates should have a developed critical voice; reporting skills are desirable
- Strong communication and relationship-building skills with people who work in the office or remotely
- Strong organizational skills
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and answer the job-specific questions below.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a position covered under a collective bargaining agreement with the Writers Guild of America, East.